What is ISO 22000 – Food Safety Management System?
ISO 22000 FSMS – Food Safety Management System is an internationally recognized standard, which can be applied / implemented to any organization within global food supply chain, from the growing to the service of produce. This ISO 22000 standard can be uniformly applied to any organizations regardless of its size or position in the food chain. It was drawn up by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), to develop a Food Safety Management System tailored to its producer & manufacturer, regulators & retailer and most important to the consumers.
This standard is utilized to help organization identifying and control food safety hazards, in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption. It provides a layer of reassurance within the global food supply chain, helping consistently provide safe products cross borders and bringing people food that they can trust.
The 2018 version is a ten clauses structure and has adopted P-D-C-A cycle, risk-based thinking, requirement to determine context of the organization and needs & expectation of interested parties. Besides this, the new version of the standard has less strict requirements for a Food Safety Manual, explicit requirement of documented procedure was removed & excludes requirements of preventive actions by replacing it with risk base thinking. ISO 22000 Certification is a procedure-based standard that one can use to control Food Safety throughout the whole food chain from farm to table. The standard does not specify criteria for food safety performance, nor the design of a management system. This Food Safety standard can be integrated with some other ISO management standard like ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & ISO 45001.
VIDEO : ISO 22001
Mr. Hariba Deshwal
We appreciate your support & also we wish you for your continual achievements.
Mr. Kunal Shah
Dedicated & punctual approach from the PQS Representative was very helpful. The knowledge & insights were vital to serve our purpose.
Mr. Surendra Yadav
We thank the company PQS for a very friendly guidance, at the same time very professional approach as needed.
Mr. Ramchandra Deshpande
It is indeed nice, knowledgeable & fruitful experience to work with PQS Team. Looking forward for a long term relationship.
Ms. Unnati Chamadia
Truly very hassle free. All the processes were done better than expected.
Hassle-free ISO 22000 Certification with PQSmitra
The effective system implementation to ensure food safety at all stages of the operation is the prime objective of the implementation. The value adding approach by PQSmitra Team has supported all clients to achieve ISO 22000 certification without any difficulty. The implementation process is described below:
Simple & Practical Methodology
- Initial visits and review of the existing operational controls
- Identification of various operational hazards and risks
- Gap analysis and planning for the documentation
- Hazard identification and Risk assessment
- Creating Food safety programme
- Training and Handholding support for implementation
- Internal audit for verification of implemented system
- Management review
- Certification audit –
Stage 1 & Stage 2
- Closure of non-conformities support if any
- Rewarding the certificate to the organization
PQSmitra offers only Genuine Certifications Options.
We ensure that ISO 22000 Certification adds value to your brand rather than distracting from it by getting counterfeit/local certification. Your certificate’s international traceability helps in passing the Certificate Verification process conducted by your overseas customers.
PQSmitra Service Features Appreciated by Clients
PQSmitra’s contribution towards cultural improvement is highly appreciated by Industry & Business Establishment.
This simple & practical solution of performance measurement system has added value towards business excellence.
20+ years of
Certification Bodies Associated with PQSmitra
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Having an overall Food Safety Certification Policy & Objectives
- Planning and designing a management system and documenting the system
- Maintaining records of the performance of the system
- Having an emergency plan
- Providing adequate resources for the effective operation of the FSMS including appropriately trained and qualified personnel, sufficient infrastructure and appropriate work environment to ensure food safety
- Following HACCP Certification principles
- Establishing a traceability system for identification of product
- Records and documentation as per the requirement of the standard
- Establishing and maintaining and internal audit program
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance of the FSMS.
The organization shall demonstrate continual improvement in the field of FSMS Food Safety Management System management system by maintaining, establishing, implementing and providing documented information.
The documented information required for ISO registration
- The organizations FSMS scope (Food Safety Management System)
- The organizations FSMS policy and FSMS Objectives
- FSMS Manual
- FSMS Procedure Manual in regards to Product withdrawal, pre-requisite programme
- Standard operating Procedures
- Records at individual process / department. E.g. Sales, Purchase, Production, Quality Assurance, Maintenance, Customer Service.
- This standard can be applied to any company in the food chain, from field to store including growers, transporters, packagers, processors, retailers, bottlers, and restaurants. In a few cases, it can be a specific mandatory requirement stated by their customer. A business of any size and location can apply for the certification.
- Recognition by overseas customers. Better business opportunities
- Satisfaction and Retention of Valuable Customers
- Compliance with business, legal, contractual, and regulatory requirements
- Improved structure and focus with respect to food safety
- Clear communication across the entire supply chain
- Traceability – identification of an organisation’s impact on food safety within the supply chain
- Cost reduction due to a more efficient system
- Continuous improved business performance in line with the ISO 22000 food safety policy and objectives.
- Year 2005 – ISO 22001:2005 (Food Safety Management System) Published
- Year 2018 – 1st Revision of the standard.
- ISO 9000:2015 – Quality management – customer satisfaction – Guidelines for complaint handling in organizations
- ISO 22000 – Food safety management systems – Requirements for any organization in the food chain.
- ISO 22001 – Guidelines on the application of ISO 9001:2000 for the food and drink industry
- ISO/TS 22002– Prerequisite programmes on food safety—Part 1: Food manufacturing; Part 2: Catering; Part 3: Farming; Part 4: Food packaging manufacturing; Part 6: Feed and animal food production
- ISO TS 22003 – Food safety management systems for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems.
- ISO TS 22004 – Food safety management systems – Guidance on the application of ISO 22000:2005.
- ISO 22005 – Traceability in the feed and food chain – General principles and basic requirements for system design and implementation.
- ISO 22006 – Quality management systems – Guidance on the application of ISO 9002:2000 for crop production.
- ISO 22000 Certification is valid for 3 years.
- No, PQSmitra does not provide certification. PQSmitra is basically a consultancy acting as a connecting bridge between the Organization & certification bodies. We help our Clients in all the parameters which are essentials to achieve the Certification along with the overall prosperity of organization.
- One must understand that the authentic certificate is awarded only after audit and verification of the compliance to the relevant standard. Your company will have to demonstrate the system for the period of at least 3 months. If your company has already established a system in accordance with the standard requirement, you may invite a certification body for the audit. In such a case, the certificate is awarded after verification of compliance. It takes approximately 2-3 weeks for getting approval and award of the certificate. However, the period differs in the case of various certification bodies.