Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production (WRAP), formerly Worldwide Responsible Apparel Production, is an independent, objective, non-profit team of global social compliance experts dedicated to promoting safe, lawful, humane and ethical manufacturing around the world through certification and education. The WRAP certification program mainly focuses on the apparel, footwear and sewn products sectors.
Wrap Certification principles are generally based on the workplace regulation and local laws. This is the world’s largest factory based certification program for textile & footwear industries. A WRAP certification audit will inspect your entire production process to ensure you are compliant with the WRAP Principles and provides your customers assurance that your goods are ethically produced also demonstrates commitment towards socially and environmentally ethical standards and represents responsible production.
WRAP also administers a comprehensive training program, which has become one of the leaders in the industry. They provide training program like Internal Auditor, Fire Safety & C-TPAT for anybody who wants and Lead Auditor Course training only for accredited monitoring partners.
Evolution of WRAP / History
- Year 1997 : WRAP standard was created by group of American Apparel & Footwear Association
- Year 2000 : WRAP become standalone entity and start operating separately
- Year 2018 : WRAP become official Corporate Social Responsibility partner of the American Apparel and Footwear Association
Applicability (Which organizations can comply to WRAP??)
- Manufacturing units including sub-contractors
- Any other business units irrespective of nature of business, size and location.
Note : In most of the cases, the WRAP requirements are communicated by the overseas customers of the organization. However, the organization can implement the requirements voluntarily to avail the status and edge over competitors.
Focus Points – WRAP – Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production
WRAP focuses on following parameters
- Compliance with Laws & Workplace Regulation
- Prohibition of Forced Labor
- Prohibition of Child Labor
- Prohibition of Harassment or Abuse
- Compensations & Benefits
- Hours of Work
- Prohibition of Discrimination
- Health & Safety
- Freedom of Association & Collective Bargaining
- Customs Compliance
Benefits of WRAP – Worldwide Responsible Accredited Production
- Enhanced Business opportunities
- Opportunity for exports. Supplier Approval by overseas customers
- Improve working culture in organization & all workers are treated fairly and humanely
- Improves brand reputation among consumers as a fair employer
- Reduces health and safety hazards in the workplace
- Improves employee engagement and boosts productivity
- Improve market value of the organization
- Increase customer satisfaction by deliver better product and services
- Improve the production procedure of the organization
- Demonstrate a commitment to social compliance
WRAP- Implementation Process by PQSmitra
PQSmitra Team helps organizations to implement the requirements of WRAP in most simple and systematic manner. The methodology of system implementation covers Initial review, planning followed by implementation and documentation. PQSmitra Team offers active support and hand holding to organizations to achieve successful system implementation and positive audit results.100% documentation support is offered to expedite the implementation process.The implementation process is described below:
- Initial visits and review of the existing system with respect to WRAP Requirements
- Gap analysis and planning for compliance
- Documentation including procedures, work instructions etc.
- Internal audits to verify the compliance prior to final audit
- Management review
- WRAP audit / verification
- Closure of non-conformities