ISO 22301 mainly describes how to manage business continuity in an organization. This standard is referred to as ISO 22301:2019 Security and Resilience – Business Continuity Management System & is written by leading business experts, providing a proper framework for managing the business in an organization.
This Standard has been developed to protect companies from the risks associated with downtime which can occur due to unexpected disruptions or disasters. Disruptions to your business can result in revenue loss, data risk breakdowns, and failure to deliver normal client services as per service level agreements (SLAs). This ISO 22301 standard is designed to ensure that a robust business continuity management system has been established and that internal staff members are fully aware of their role within the system should an incident occur.
Implementing a strong BCMS will aid your organization in quickly recovering from a disaster or disruption and also against the reputational damage which can occur from missed deadlines, data leakages, operational, IT outages, industrial actions, disappointed clients, or direct financial losses due to the disruption.
ISO 22301 emphasizes the importance of:
- understanding the organization’s needs and the necessity for establishing business continuity policies and objectives;
- operating and maintaining processes, capabilities, and response structures for ensuring the organization will survive disruptions;
- monitoring and reviewing the performance and effectiveness of the BCMS;
- Continual improvement based on qualitative and quantitative measures.
This certification lasts for three years and is subject to mandatory audits every year to ensure that you are compliant. At the end of the three years, you will be required to complete a reassessment audit in order to receive the standard for an additional three years.
Any kind of organization – large or small, for-profit or non-profit, private or public – can benefit from ISO 22301. The extent of application of these requirements depends on the organization’s operating environment and complexity.
Focus Points – ISO 22301:2019 Business Continuity Management System
- Setting up system for documentation and records.
- Management information system
- Risk assessment and treatment
- Business continuity strategy
- Business continuity plan
- Business performance and sustainability
- Legal compliance
- Cultural improvement with the business continuity management system
- Establishing and maintaining an internal audit program
- Holding management review meetings to evaluate the performance
Benefits of ISO 22301 Certification
- Strengthen your internal management
- Creating new opportunities due to overall organizational improvement
- Comply with legal requirements
- Prevent large scale damage
- Achieve marketing advantage
- Improve financial performance and reduce disruptions
- Maintain client satisfaction upon agreed service
ISO 22301 Certification Implementation Process by PQSmitra
PQSmitra has a strong experienced and knowledgeable team that can open up new opportunities for your business and satisfy supply chain requirements by certifying to ISO 22301. Meet expectations of organizational resilience and prove that you’ve put business continuity best practice at the forefront of what you do. Let us take you through ISO 22301 certification and ensure your business is equipped to survive in the event of a major incident or disaster. The implementation process is described below:
- Initial visits and review of the existing operational controls
- Identification of various operational risks
- Creating awareness programs
- Training and Handholding/ support for implementation
- Creating a business continuity management system
- Documentation support
- Internal audit for verification of implemented system
- Management review
- Certification audit
- Closure of non-conformities
- Rewarding the certificate to the organization