The amfori Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) is an industry-driven movement that aims to monitor and assess workplace standards across the global supply chain. Aamfori BSCI audit helps a business monitor its supply chain to ensure that all suppliers are treating workers ethically and legally.
Amfori Business Social Compliance Initiative (BSCI) being a business-driven initiative, helps the organization to achieve their commitments towards the improvement in the working conditions of the global supply chain. BSCI complied organizations unites around one common Code of Conduct, which supports them in their efforts towards constructing an ethical supply chain by providing them with a development oriented system and it is applicable to all sectors and all sourcing countries.The BSCI Code of Conduct refers to international conventions such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Children’s Rights and Business Principles, UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights, OECD Guidelines.
In 2003, BSCI standard had been established by Foreign Trade Association (FTA). The aim behind establishing this standard was to create consistency and reconciling the companies wanting to improve their social compliance & improvement within factories. BSCI applies the principle of international labor standards that protects the worker’s rights.
We have entered the world of globalization and all the retailers and importers source their products from the supplying companies around the world. But many companies do not comply to the national laws laid down for protecting the workers or the laws laid down are inadequate. Hence to overcome such situations, BSCI has come up with one common code of conduct and one single implementation system.
Applicability (Which organizations can comply to Amfori BSCI Code of conduct??)
- Manufacturing units including sub-contractors (Subject to specific requirement and consent from the customer)
Note : Only companies that are actively supplying Amfori BSCI members can be audited according to the Amfori BSCI Code of Conduct. The audit must be applied for via the Amfori BSCI platform and approved by the Amfori BSCI member responsible for the supplier
Focus Points –Amfori BSCI Code of conduct
BSCI – Code of conduct compromises of 11 Social Principles
- The Right of Freedom of Association and Collective Bargaining
- Fair remuneration
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Special Protection for young workers
- No bonded labour
- Ethical business behaviour
- No discrimination
- Decent working hours
- No child labour
- No precarious employment
- Protection of the environment
Benefits of Amori BSCI Code of Conduct Audit
- Business opportunities through Amfori BSCI platform
- Recognition of socially compliant organization
- Opportunity for exports. Supplier Approval by overseas customers
- Mandatory requirement for being an out-sourcing sub-contractor to parent company
- Compliance with business, legal, contractual, and regulatory requirements
- Improved structure and focus with respect to Business Ethics and Anti-bribery Management System
Amfori BSCI Code of Conduct – Implementation Process by PQSmitra
PQSmitra Team helps in easy understanding of the Amfori BSCI code of conduct and simple methods for practical implementation. Team offers all the support to complete audit related documentation formalities. The initial review of the existing practices being followed at the organization is the starting point for the BSCI code of conduct audit. 100% documentation support is offered to achieve successful audit results.The implementation process is described below:
- Initial visits and review of the existing system with respect to BSCI Requirements
- Gap analysis and planning for compliance
- Documentation including procedures, work instructions etc.
- Internal audits to verify the compliance prior to final audit
- Management review
- BSCI code of conduct audit / verification
- Closure of non-conformities