INTRODUCTION TO ATEX PRODUCT CERTIFICATION
ATEX is The European Regulatory Framework for Manufacture, Installation and Use of Equipment in Explosive Atmospheres (denoted by Ex). It came into force in 2003, and was enacted in the UK by statutory Instrument (SI) 2002: 2776. It was called DSEAR (The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations of 2002), and implemented both the ATEX and the Chemical Agents Directive (98/24/EC). ATEX is an abbreviation of the term(ATmosphères EXplosives) which is derived from “Appareils destinés à être utilisés en ATmosphères EXplosives” (French for Equipment intended for use in Explosive Atmospheres). ATEX consists of two directives. ATEX directives applies to all the electrical & mechanical equipment & protective systems which are located within potentially explosive environments. ATEX directives were adopted by EU (European Union) to facilitate the trade between the member states by aligning the technical and legal requirements for products intended for use in potentially explosive atmosphere.
- The ATEX 214 “Equipment” Directive 2014/34/EU: This Directive is for the manufacturer whose equipment and protective systems are intended for use in potentially explosive atmosphere.
- The ATEX 137 “Workplace” Directive 1999/92/EC: This Directive is for the minimum requirements for improving the safety and health protection of the workers working in a potentially explosive atmosphere.
APPLICABILITY (Which Organizations can avail ATEX product Certificate?)
- On shore and off shore oil and gas rigs
- Petrochemical Refineries
- Fuel Distribution Depots
- Oil and gas pipeline installation, repair and maintenance.
- Chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
- Building, construction and civil engineering in hazardous environments.
- Producers and users of solvents, paints, varnishes and other flammable liquids.
- Printing and textiles.
- Food manufacturers, wood processors, grain handling & storage- where dust are generated.
- Engineering where dust is created due to machining, grinding and sanding.
FOCUS POINTS- ATEX PRODUCT CERTIFICATION:
- Product design and development process verification.
- Compliance with technical specifications pertinent to the applicable product standard
- Consistency in product quality and safety
- Reduction in rework and rejection percentage in manufacturing processes
- Enhanced process controls and better controls in shop floor operations
- Setting up a system for documentation and records.
BENEFITS OF ATEX PRODUCT CERTIFICATION:
- Fast European market access for your product.
- Manufacturers targeting global market especially Europe for equipment to be installed in explosive environment.
- Entry passport for supply to in Explosive Atmosphere industries.
- Better business opportunities and revenue.
- Status of organization with premium certification.
- Elimination of non-value-added activities from the system.
- Satisfaction and Retention of Valuable Customers.
- Better sustainability prospects.
ATEX PRODUCT CERTIFICATION IMPLEMENTATION PROCESS BY PQSmitra:
PQSmitra has helped many organizations achieving this mark of excellence. The simple and practical method of system implementation help organizations to set up a robust and effective system.
PQSmitra offers 100% support for documentation compliance in addition to onsite guidance for effective implementation. The implementation process is described below:
- Initial visits and review of the existing product.
- Gap analysis and planning for the technical documentation related to product Design and Product Quality.
- Training and Hand holding/ support for implementation.
- Management review meeting.
- Certification audit.
- Closure of non-conformities.
- ATEX Rewards the certificate to the organization.
ATEX CERTIFICATION REFERENCE STANDARD:
For product certification the standards mentioned in the ATEX 214 “Equipment” Directive 2014/34/EU is referred for the compliance to the requirements related for the product to be installed in a potential Explosive Atmosphere.