AS 9100 is an internationally recognized Quality Management System standard, which can be applied / implemented to organizations that design, develop or provide product and services to Aviation, Space and Defense industry, created by International Aerospace Quality Group. The standard provides suppliers with requirements for creating and maintaining a comprehensive quality system for providing safe and reliable products to the ASD industry, as well as civil and military aviation requirements.
This standard is utilized to standardize the processes in the aerospace industries by organizations to exhibit their capacity to consistently provide products and services that meet client and regulatory prerequisites and to show continuous improvement. It is not a product standard that define product quality, it controls your process the end product meet customer requirement
The 2016 (D) version is a 10 clause structure and has adopted P-D-C-A cycle, risk-based thinking as per ISO 9001, requirement to determine context of the organization and needs and expectation of interested parties. Besides this, the new version of the standard includes requirements for product safety in new clause, Counterfeit parts prevention added in new clause and Awareness clause added for product and service quality and safety.
In addition to AS 9100, there are two other sets of requirements for different types of aerospace companies first is AS9110 for the QMS of aerospace maintenance organizations and second is AS9120 for the QMS of aerospace stockiest distributors.
Evolution of AS 9100 and Revision History
- Year 1999 – AS 9100 was released by the Society of Automotive Engineers and the European Association of Aerospace Industries.
- Year 2001 – 1st Revision – AS 9100A released incorporating ISO 9001:2000 requirements
- Year 2004 – 2nd Revision – AS 9100B released with minor changes
- Year 2009 – 3rd Revision – AS 9100C released with incorporating the major changes including risk management and effectiveness of the system
- Year 2016 – 4th Revision – AS 9100A released incorporating ISO 9001:2015 requirements
Eligibility / Applicability (Which organizations can avail AS 9100 certification??)
The certification is availed primarily by the aviation, space and defense industry.This standard can also be used in other industry sectors when a quality management system with additional requirements over an ISO 9001:2015 system is needed.
NOTE : The eligible organizations shall be able to furnish data related to aviation, space and defense industry supply capabilities while certification audit.
Focus Points – AS 9100:2016 Implementation
- Streamlining and Standardizing the manufacturing processes and other business processes
- Product safety and warranty management
- Integration of Customer Specific Requirements
- Risk management and Contingency planning
- Configuration management and Product tracebility
- Formulating Quality Policy and Objectives
- Setting up system for documentation and records.
- Management information system
- Business performance and sustainability
Benefits of AS 9100:2016 Implementation
- Entry passport for supply to aviation, space and defense industry.
- Certificate is recognized by other industry sectors
- Deletion of non-value-added activities and Waste elimination
- Cost effectiveness at various stages of the operations of the organizations
- Improved product safety and warranty management
- Manufacturing process controls enhancing Quality and Productivity
- Business process streamlining and efficiency improvement
- Responsibility and Accountability across the organization
- A step towards customer delight
- Better business performance and Enhanced sustainability
AS 9100:2016 Implementation Process by PQSmitra
AS 9100 being a specific standard for aviation, space and defense industry, the system implementation requirements are stringent and effective. PQSmitra has been a reputed consultancy provider for more than 20 years. The systematic approach throughout the project execution by PQSmitra has supported many clients to implement effective system and avail Premium International Certification.
The AS 9100:2016 implementation process is described below:
- Review of the existing Quality Management System. This review is carried out through discussions and verifications of records during visits to the client organization.
- System designing and documentation (Records and Procedures). 100% documentation support is offered by PQSmitra.
- Training on sector specific requirements and its implementation. This is done with hand holding and team approach.
- Routine assistance and system verification to ensure compliance to the requirements.
- Internal audit and Management review
- Certification audit – Stage 1 and Stage 2
- Submission of action plan on audit observations
- Review of report by the certification authority and awarding the certificate to the organization
AS 9100:2016 Reference Standards
- ISO 9000:2015 – Quality management – customer satisfaction – Guidelines for complaint handling in organizations
- AS 9101: Audit checklist and assessment document
- AS 9102: Guidance document for performing aerospace first article inspections
- AS 9103: Guidance for variation management of key characteristics and many others that are used to help with implementation of the QMS requirements.