ISO 37001 i.e. Anti-Bribery Management System is an internationally recognized standard which helps organization to fight against the corruption, by establishing the culture of integrity, transparency and compliance. The Anti-Bribery Management System can be used by any organization that is large or small, public or private and in any part of the country. This is the effective tool, which can be adapted according to the organization size, nature and the risk of bribery it faces.
Anti-Bribery Management System can be a stand-alone system or integrated into an already implemented management system such as Quality Management System i.e. ISO 9001. The effective and precise implementation of Anti-Bribery Management System (ABMS) ensures certification of organization by Internationally Accredited Certification Body.
ISO 37001 addresses one of the world’s most destructive and challenging issues and demonstrates a committed approach to eliminate the corruption. This Standard allows organization of all type to prevent, detect and address bribery by adopting an anti-bribery policy, appointing a person to oversee anti-bribery compliance, training, risk assessments and due diligence on projects and business associates, implementing financial & commercial controls and instituting reporting & investigation procedures.
ISO 37001 cannot provide assurance that no bribery will occur as it is not possible to completely eliminate the risk of Bribery. But it helps organization to implement reasonable measure to prevent, detect and respond to bribery.
This Standards was developed by ISO technical committee ISO/TC309 and was first published in October 2016. This standard structure consists of 10 clauses, which is similar as ISO 9001:2015 standard and it also adopts the concept such as P-D-C-A cycle, risk-based thinking.
ISO 37001 ABMS – Revision History
Year 2016 – 1st Edition of ISO 37001:2016 Anti-Bribery Management System (ABMS) published
Applicability (Which organizations can avail ISO 37001 certification??)
- Manufacturing units
- Service sector including Educational institutes, Hospitals and other service providing units
- Trading units
- Any other business units irrespective of nature of business, size and location.
Focus Points –ISO 37001:2016 Implementation
- Anti-bribery policies and procedures, including those around gift-giving, hospitality, donations, and other such benefits
- An effective compliance team to oversee the anti-bribery program
- A strong tone at the top with management level leadership on, commitment to, and responsibility for anti-bribery
- Anti-bribery risk assessments
- Controls to mitigate bribery risks (including financial, procurement, commercial, and contractual controls)
- Training and awareness on anti-bribery policies and measures
- Due diligence on projects, transactions, personnel, and business associates/ third parties with a high risk of bribery
- Procedures for reporting, investigating, and reviewing suspected or actual bribery
- Continuous monitoring and regular audits
- Corrective action and continual improvement
Benefits of ISO 37001:2016 implementation
- Compliance to anti-bribary policy & Ethical working practices
- Recognition by overseas customers
- Mandatory requirement for being an out-sourcing sub-contractor to parent company
- Compliance with business, legal, contractual, and regulatory requirements
- Improved structure and focus with respect to Business Ethics and Anti-bribery Management System
ISO 37001:2016 ABMS Implementation Process by PQSmitra
The practical and effective system implementation approach is adopted towards ISO 37001 certification at the organization. PQSmitra Team helps in easy understanding of the standard requirements and simple methods for effective compliance. 100% documentation support is offered to achieve successful certification in addition to enhanced operational controls. The implementation process is described below:
- Initial visits and review of the existing system
- Identification of controls and planning for implementation
- Documentation including procedures, work instructions etc.
- Internal audit for verification of implemented system
- Management review
- Certification audit – Stage 1&Stage 2
- Closure of non-conformities
- Rewarding the certificate to the organization
ISO 37001 Reference Standards
- ISO 9000:2015 – Quality management – customer satisfaction – Guidelines for complaint handling in organizations
- ISO 19600 Compliance management systems – Guidelines
- ISO 26000 Guidance on Social Responsibility
- ISO 31000 Risk Management – Principles and Guidelines