The International Railway Industry Standard (IRIS) is an internationally recognized management system standard specific to the railway industry. It is based on the ISO 9001 structure, but stipulates additional, railway specific requirements for business management systems.
In 2005, the IRIS Group was established as a UNIFE Group with the goal of securing higher quality in the railway industry. All certification bodies shall have an accreditation in accordance with ISO/IEC 17021:2015 and an IRIS approval. IRIS is an initiative led by the Association of European Railway Industries (UNIFE). Equipment manufacturers applying for an IRIS Certificate must obtain it from an independent certification body. The flow of activities towards IRIS certifications is as follows:
- Organisation registers for membership at the UNIFE portal
- compilation of the information questionnaire
- pre-audits to verify potential gaps in compliance with the IRIS standard
- readiness Review audits to verify compliance with IRIS pre-requisites
- certification audit
- issue of the certification
- annual supervision audits
- recertification audit (after three years).
This standard is utilized by the organizations to standardize the processes in the railway industries to exhibit their capacity to consistently provide products and services that meet client and regulatory prerequisites and to show continuous improvement. It is not a product standard that define product quality, it controls your process the product meet customer requirement
Eligibility / Applicability (Which organizations can avail IRIS certification??)
The certification is availed primarily by the organizations in supply chain of railway industry.This standard can also be used in other industry sectors when a quality management system with additional requirements over an ISO 9001:2015 system is needed.
NOTE :The eligible organizations shall be able to furnish data related to railway industry while certification audit.
Focus Points – IRIS Implementation
- Streamlining and Standardizing the manufacturing processes and other business processes
- Product safety and warranty management
- Integration of Customer Specific Requirements
- Risk management and Contingency planning
- Configuration management and Product tracebility
- Formulating Quality Policy and Objectives
- Setting up system for documentation and records.
- Management information system
- Business performance and sustainability
Benefits of AS 9100:2016 Implementation
- Certification Offer web-based availability of your certification information to your current and prospective customers
- Certificate is recognized by other industry sectors
- Deletion of non-value-added activities and Waste elimination
- Manufacturing process controls enhancing Quality and Productivity
- Business process streamlining and efficiency improvement
- Responsibility and Accountability across the organization
- A step towards customer delight
- Better business performance and Enhanced sustainability
IRIS Implementation Process by PQSmitra
AS 9100 being a specific standard for railway indusry, the system implementation requirements are stringent and effective. PQSmitra has been a reputed consultancy provider for more than 20 years. The systematic approach throughout the project execution by PQSmitra has supported many clients to implement effective system and avail Premium International Certification
IRIS implementation process is described below:
- Review of the existing Quality Management System. This review is carried out through discussions and verifications of records during visits to the client organization.
- System designing and documentation (Records and Procedures). 100% documentation support is offered by PQSmitra.
- Training on sector specific requirements and its implementation. This is done with hand holding and team approach.
- Routine assistance and system verification to ensure compliance to the requirements.
- Internal audit and Management review
- Certification audit – Stage 1 and Stage 2
- Submission of action plan on audit observations
- Review of report by the certification authority and awarding the certificate to the organization