IATF 16949 is a global Quality Management System Standard for the Automotive industry. It was developed by the International Automotive Task Force (IATF), with support from AIAG (Automotive Industry Action Group).
The ISO/TS 16949:1999 standard was initially developed in 1999 to harmonize different quality assessment and accreditation methods that give persistent improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the automotive business supply chain. IATF 16949:2016 integrates existing American and European automotive quality management systems standards within the global automotive industry. It aims to eliminate the need for multiple certifications to satisfy multiple customer requirements.
The IATF consists of an international group of vehicle manufacturers i.e. BMW Group, Fiat, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Corporation, PSA Peugeot-Citroen, Renault, Volkswagen and national trade associations – AIAG (America), VDA (Germany), SMMT (UK), ANFIA (Italy) and FIEV (France).
IATF 16949:2016 (replaces ISO/TS 16949:2009) is a standard that builds up the prerequisites for a Quality Management System (QMS), explicitly for the Automotive sector. It applies to any organization which are active in the supply chain of automotive products.It prepares the organization to demonstrate their commitment towards the quality of product and compliance to customer requirements.
IATF 16949:2016 is an independent QMS standard that is completely lined up with the structure and prerequisites of IATF 16949:2016. Therefore, the IATF 16949 can’t be implemented alone as an independent document, but it should be implemented as an enhancement related to IATF 16949:2016.
Evolution of IATF 16949 and Revision History
- Year 1999 – ISO/TS 16949 Standard for Quality Management System for automotive industry was published.
- Year 2002 – 1st Revision of ISO/TS 16949 Standard was published.
- Year 2009 – 2nd Revision of ISO/TS 16949 Standard was published.
- Year 2016 – IATF 16949:2016 Quality Management System standards explicitly for automotive industry was published. It replaced the earlier standard ISO/TS 16949:2009
Eligibility / Applicability (Which organizations can avail IATF 16949 certification??)
Only manufacturing sites where production, service parts, and/or accessory parts that shall be mechanically attached or electrically connected to the vehicle are manufactured and supplied to automotive customers are eligible for IATF 16949 certification.
NOTE : The eligible organizations shall be able to furnish data related to automotive supply for minimum period of 12 months while certification audit. If the automotive supplies by the organizations have started less than 12 months then the organization can avail “Letter of Compliance (LOC)” issued by the certification body. The formal IATF 16949:2016 certification can be applied only after the automotive supplies for more than 12 months.
Focus Points – IATF 16949:2016 Implementation
- Streamlining and Standardizing the manufacturing processes and other business processes
- Product safety and warranty management
- Integration of Customer Specific Requirements
- Risk management and Contingency planning
- Core tools including PPAP, APQP, SPC, MSA and FMEA
- Formulating Quality Policy and Objectives
- Setting up system for documentation and records.
- Management information system
- Business performance and sustainability
Benefits of IATF 16949:2016 Implementation
- Entry passport for supply to automotive OEMs.
- Deletion of non-value-added activities and Waste elimination
- Cost effectiveness at various stages of the operations of the organizations
- Improved product safety and warranty management
- Manufacturing Quality and Productivity improvement
- Business process streamlining and efficiency improvement
- Responsibility and Accountability across the organization
- Good Marketing Tool and Credibility in Overseas Business.
- Satisfaction and Retention of Valuable Customers
- Better sustainability prospects
IATF 16949:2016 Implementation Process by PQSmitra
PQSmitra has developed a module of IATF 16949 QMS implementation at the client organization. The expertise for more than 20 years has supported more than 250 clients from automotive industry to implement simple, practical and effective systems. PQSmitra offers 100% documentation support, training and also the hand holding to team members which makes the entire project execution easy, hassle free and result oriented. The IATF 16949:2016 implementation process is described below:
- Review of the existing Quality Management System in automotive supply chain. This review is carried out by visits.
- Gap analysis and planning for the documentation (Records and Procedures). 100% documentation support is offered by PQSmitra.
- Designing and development of forms, formats and procedures.
- Training and Hand holding/ support for implementation
- Internal audit for verification of implemented system
- Management review
- Certification audit – Stage 1
- Certification audit – Stage 2
- Closure of non-conformities
- Rewarding the certificate to the organization
IATF 16949:2016 Reference Standards
- ISO 9000:2015 – Quality management – customer satisfaction – Guidelines for complaint handling in organizations
- ISO/TS 16949:2009 Quality management system for automotive industry
- AIAG manual for SPC (Statistical process control)
- AIAG manual for PPAP (Production part approval process)
- AIAG manual for APQP (Advance product quality planning)
- AIAG manual for FMEA (Failure mode and effect analysis)
- AIAG manual for MSA (Measurement system analysis)